Resident Life FAQ

Learn more about MBU

We welcome all of your Resident Life questions. If you don’t see the answer you need on this list, contact the Office of Resident Life by emailing or calling 314-392-2262.

Prospective Students 

Q. Are freshman required to live on campus?
A. MBU students are not required to live on campus, but our comfortable, modern dorms offer students a strong sense of community to complete their college experience.

Q. How do I apply for on-campus housing?
A. The housing application can be completed online here

Q. What is provided in my dorm room?
A. Your room is furnished with a desk and chair, dresser and a extra long twin size bed.

Q. Can I bring extra furniture for my room?
A. Students are allowed to bring extra furniture if it is approved by the Resident Director and the resident’s roommate. The extra furniture should not intrude on the space of others in the room or suite. Sofa sleepers are prohibited.

Q. When can I move into my room?
A. New students are allowed to move into the dorms during the assigned time of Welcome Weekend.

Q. Is my housing deposit refundable?
A. New applicants may request a refund by June 1 by sending a written request to the Office of Resident Life by mail or e-mail.

Q. Are there laundry facilities available?
A. Yes. There are laundry facilities in the housing facilities.  The fee for use is included in the cost of the room and board, so there is not a cost per load.

Q. May I have visitors in my room?
A. Vistors of the same gender may visit at any time.  If they are staying overnight, they must complete an overnight guest form with the RA on duty.  Please see the Resident Life Handbook for specific guidelines.  Guests of the opposite sex may visit in the dorm room during Open Hall times only.

Q. Do I have a curfew?
A. Residents do not have a curfew, but we encourage that students have a schedule that promotes a healthy lifestyle and a successful academic career.

Q. I still have more questions. How can I have them answered?
A. Additional questions may be addressed to the Office of Resident Life by e-mailing or calling 314-392-2262.

Current Students

Q. What do I do if I have a maintenance issue in my room?
 Contact the Office of Resident Life or your Resident Director and complete a maintenance request form.

Q. What do I do if I have an issue with the Internet?

Q. What if I don’t like my roommate?
 If you have a problem with your roommate(s), the first step is contacting and talking to your RA. If they cannot help remedy the situation, you may request a roommate change after the first two weeks of the semester. Room changes are not guaranteed.

Q. Can I stay in the dorm over a closed break?
 Students with a school-related reason are allowed to stay in the dorm over closed break. To request to stay in the dorms over a closed break, you must complete a closed break agreement that you can obtain from your RD or RA. If your request is approved there is a daily fee charged to your student account.

Q. Can I have overnight guests in my room?
 Residents can have overnight guests of the same gender who are between the ages of 17 and 24. They must have approval from the Resident Director and register the guest with the RA on duty.

Q. What do I do if get sick while at school?
 Mercy Clinic is located in Spartan Village Row Building 503 for appointments  We also have first-aid kits and various over the counter medications located in each housing facility. We encourage students to communicate with their healthcare provider in the instance of sickness. In the case of a communicable disease, please contact the Resident Director.

Q. How can I express my ideas for Resident Life?
 The Resident Life staff values the ideas and opinions of residents. Students can contact their Resident Assistant or Resident Director directly. There are also surveys conducted at the end of each semester where students are encouraged to voice their opinions and suggestions.

Q. What is the difference between vacating the dorm and checking out of the dorm?
 Vacating students are leaving the dorm and are not returning, while checked-out students plan to return after breaks. In both cases, students must make an appointment with their Resident Assistant to complete paperwork and perform a room inspection.

Q. Can I stay in the dorm over the summer?
Students taking summer classes or who hold on-campus jobs, without any discipline issues, are allowed to stay in the dorms during summer break. Students will be billed a monthly fee for housing.  Students must fill out a Summer Housing contract. Meal plans are not provided during the summer.

Residence Life FAQs

Standard Items That Are in Your Room

  • Desk and chair
  • Dresser
  • Twin bed, extra long
  • One cable connection
  • Wifi

You May Want to Bring

  • Trashcans
  • Power strips
  • Twin-size bed linens
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Pillows
  • Hangers
  • Alarm clock
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Small refrigerator
  • Broom and dustpan
  • Microwave
  • Mop and bucket
  • Desk lamp
  • Computer
  • Small area rugs
  • Flashlight
  • Wall mounting supplies – North Hall may only use 3M Command strips or sticky tack; Spartan Village and Pillsbury Huff may only use small nails, pushpins, and sticky tack.
  • Bathroom supplies
  • Telephone
  • Posters
  • Fans
  • Automatic shut-off clothing iron
  • Network connection cord

Please Do Not Bring

  • Pets
  • Weapons
  • Halogen lamps
  • Candles, lighters or anything that produces a flame
  • Hot plates
  • Toasters
  • Grills of any kind
  • Extension cords
  • Offensive posters or pictures
  • Street signs
  • Sofa sleeper
  • Alcohol, drugs or related items
  • Revealing clothing items
  • Clothing items with offensive slogans

Dining Hall Hours

Monday – Friday
7:15 a.m. – 9 a.m. (hot breakfast-)
9 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. (Continental breakfast)

Saturday: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.

11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
*On chapel days, the dining hall will open when chapel is over.

Monday – Thursday: 4:30 p.m.  – 6:30 p.m.
Friday – Sunday: 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.